“We are all here for some special reason. Stop being a prisoner of your past. Become the architect of your future.” ― Robin S. Sharma
We are all here for a reason. Not everyone knows (yet) why they are here. Others know the purpose for their life. Even if they are unable to state it in specific words their purpose, they at least have a sense of direction.
Do you know your purpose?
Knowing your purpose leads to better physical and mental health. It gives us a connectedness and ability to work towards bigger goals.
Here are 6 ways you can determine your purpose.
1. Use your experiences (especially suffering) to grow yourself. Use your personal growth and experiences to help others. Sometimes, another person’s pain can lead us to purpose.
2. Cultivate emotions and behaviors that foster a sense of purpose. Psychologist, Paul Piff researches awe, gratitude, and altruism. His research shows that they provide an emotional foundation for a sense of purpose.
3. Accept what other people say is good about you.
4. Read. If you are feeling a crisis of purpose in your life, go to the bookstore or library. Find books that matter to you—and they might help you to see what matters in your own life.
5. Share your story. Like reading, writing your narrative also helps you find your purpose. Purpose arises from your self exploration. What obstacles have you encountered? What strengths helped you to overcome them? How did other people help you? How did your strengths help make life better for others?
6. Develop or join a community. Often, the nobility of our purpose reflects the company we keep.